Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Grinding, Pain, and Swallowing Your Pride

Hi everyone,

This week has been a strange one. On Saturday night, I began to notice some stiffness in my back. Thinking I had probably just slept on it wrong, I went to sleep expecting it to feel a little better on Sunday. Sunday was not any better. I spent the day stretching and resting, and avoided playing any golf, as I had my tournament to look out for. On Monday, with the aid of some back pain relief aspirin I bought at the grocery store, and a heat wrap, I was able to play my practice round without any real bother, and I was looking forward to this week's tournament.

Yesterday was a different story. As the round progressed, I had less and less confidence that I could swing through the golf ball, as I was worried about the pain in my back. While I grinded very well, I hit some pretty strange shots out there, and ended up shooting 77. It was a tough day, and I was fairly happy with how I kept working hard until the round was finished. There were some swings that I did not finish in fear of pain, but I was able to limit my mistakes fairly well. Aside from two double bogies on the front nine after two terrible drives, I played a fairly solid round of golf. I was also very happy that I found a way to get the golf ball into play off the tee, when I was not at my best. I saw a Chiropractor after the round, and while I had an adjustment, it did not make enough of a difference to really feel well.

Today, I only was able to play nine holes before having to withdraw from the tournament. I was in a lot of pain, and I knew that continuing to play only would increase the chance of hurting myself greater. While I wanted to finish, I knew that it was time to call it a tournament. This is the first time I have ever withdrawn from a tournament, and while it bothers me that I had to do it, I know it was the best decision. I have tried to play through pain before, and only ended up making the injury worse, and I did not want to do that again. I will take a little time off, identify what the problem is, and make sure that I give myself the best chance of not having it happen again!

It is upsetting because I was really feeling good about my game heading into this event. Even yesterday, playing through the pain I was in, I was quite happy in how I managed my game. I did learn that I do have a shot I can rely on to get the golf ball into play, as well. There have been many times that I was uncomfortable on the tee box, and I have found out a way to make sure I get the ball in play now. This will be very valuable in the future of my golf career!

I hope everyone is having a great day, and is in good health!!!

Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment